Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Physician's Oath for Teachers

Image by James Vaughn

The other day I was watching one of those fictional doctor shows and they talked about the physician’s oath that doctors take before entering the medical community. It is an oath that commits all those that take it to a common code of appropriate behavior. This got me thinking: what if beyond uniform standards and teaching credentials there was an oath for teachers entering the education field, code of conduct that binds us all by our common desire to serve children and our communities above all else?

This is what my oath would look like:
  • I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to the service of my school community;
  • I will give to fellow teachers, administration and parents the respect and gratitude which is their due;
  • I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity; the well-being of the whole student will be my first consideration;
  • I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honor and the noble traditions of the education profession; my colleagues will be my brothers and I will learn from and collaborate with them;
  • I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race, party politics, financial or social standing to intervene between my duty and my students;
  • I will maintain the utmost respect for the unique personalities, backgrounds and learning styles of my students, even under government intervention, I will not treat my students like a test score;
  • I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honor.

If you had to make an oath, what would it look like?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this -- I agree very much!!

    I wrote something a bit similar a while back -- http://projectsbyjen.com/blog/?p=1844 -- but I very much enjoyed yours as well. ... and the professionalism it carried!!

    Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete