Tuesday, December 6, 2011

iRig - Microphone for iPod, iPad and iPhone

My Digital Media Production and Storytelling class has been using the iPad for a majority of our media production this semester. One of the issues we ran into was producing quality audio. Then I discovered the iRig. It is an external microphone that can be used with an iPad, iPhone or iPod. The iRig can be plugged in and used with an existing app or used with VocaLive, AmpliTube, and iRig recorder. The iRig creates high-quality audio for narration and singing for a variety of apps. The iRig can be used as a handheld device or placed in a standard microphone stand. It features three sound settings that can capture soft voices or loud speeches making it ideal to use in a variety of settings. Last week one of my undergrads (who worked in film production) said, "The eye can accept bad images and the story will still come through but the ears cannot accept bad audio." Now audio will no longer prevent users from creating powerful stories with a mobile device. With the iRig, students can create audio and video stories on the go. 


The iRig mic can be purchased from the Apple Store

7 comments:

  1. your blog always has such great advice! Did you post this as a review or just as info to the class. either way thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a a little of both. I found out about this and I thought it would be great to share it with the class and to share with other people who want to use the iPad for storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Priscilla! I wonder if it could work with my iPad too, since it is the old one :/.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! What a cool product. I would love to get a price on those and perhaps a link to a host site that is selling them. Can you supply more info? Thanks Priscilla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very poor avoid find something better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry i have repaired virtually brand new units which were no use to begin with ,many better dont waste your money .

      Delete
    2. Dear Anonymous,
      I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the iRig. I've used it with great success and it improved the audio quality. If I find something else, I will be sure to share it here!

      Delete